Friday, November 6, 2009

a bad apple

Today we went to the library as usual for storytime. W went ahead to the storytime room for the activities while I held C and watched S play. All went well for the most part, until W was done with the craft and came out to meet me. He was very proud of the page he drew, his name with a sun in the sky and he pasted the mouse on the bottom in the page over the preprinted letters in a creative way (although not anatomically correct but I was proud of him that he did it himself and he was proud of his artwork). A stray kid with his Mom nowhere in sight proceeded to make fun of W’s drawing and W in general. I wanted to slap him but of course restrained myself and asked the child where his mother was, and to please go to her and leave my son alone. He did not cooperate but I told the kids in frustration that we needed to leave any way to get home since we have a handyman coming this afternoon. If I did not have all 3 kids in tow it probably would have been easier to find the other mom and tell her, I do feel badly because I would want to know if my kid had been that rude to somebody because that deserves punishment. I feel sorry that he is such a brat to come up and taunt kids.


The next time I see the boy and his mother I hope to tell her how much he hurt W’s feelings and to please talk to him about it. The sad thing is the Mom probably has no clue he behaves this way and he will probably be let loose in some school to do the same to countless others. Why do some children do this to others? Perhaps it is because they themselves are picked on or are just seeking attention even if it is negative.


It is too bad how a few little words can mar a perfectly good day. And most of the time storytime is such a great social outlet and a pleasant experience for all the kids, so I will try not to let this incident bother me too much. And as usual as a parent I am sure it bothers me more than my son. :) W and S certainly have their moments of misbehaving sometimes, but they are very kind hearted and helpful children so I want to use this example to show them how not to behave and also try to teach them to stick up for themselves in these types of situations which unfortunately are a part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment